Sunday, November 22, 2009

Popcorn Talk


First of all, I'm watching E's "15 Remarkable Celebrity Body Bouncebacks" and I must say Im finding it really motivating.

Second of all, this blog is now on the Pitt News. The posts aren't exactly the same but the idea and title are. The blogs are found here, sorted by most recent posts.

Finally, the Today Show ran a story last week about the food sin of movie theatre popcorn. I've ran into this article several times throughout the past week, including in a fellow classmates blog. It's pretty much haunting me, so I figured I'd talk about it. According to the article,

New laboratory tests conducted by the non-profit Center for Science in the
Public Interest reveal that a $12 medium-popcorn-and-soda combo sold at Regal,
the country’s largest movie-theater chain, contains 1,610 calories and 60 grams
of saturated fat — the equivalent of three McDonald’s Quarter Pounders with 12 pats of butter.

Why? Air-popped popcorn is normally considered a healthy snack, largely because of the amount of fiber it contains. But the article says "when popped in coconut oil and covered in buttery oil topping, movie popcorn can contain days' worth of saturated fat."

Until movie theatre's start searching purses like they do at football games and concerts, the solution is easy: throw a snack in your bag before the movies. Not only are you going to save money, but you won't be mindlessly eating pretty much an entire days worth of calories while enjoying your movie.

I actually don't even go to the movies that much, because I'm cheap, but I actually went to the movies a few weeks ago to see "The Men Who Stare at Goats." I packed some baby carrots and fun size Kit Kat bars. I also took a banana, but was only planning on pulling it out of my bag and eating it to make my sister laugh, because let's face it, that's a little silly.

4 comments:

  1. This is not a healthy snack story: once I went to a movie with a friend and he snuck (blogger, snuck is a word) Wendy's chicken sandwiches in for us by putting them down his pants.

    (Also it might be nice to link to Anna's blog when you mention her.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also congratulations on the PittNews site. that is really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A link has been added, and thank you.

    Yeah, my middle school English teacher talked about how he snuck McDonald's into the movie theatre when he went to see Hannibal and he ended up throwing it up during the movie.

    According to the article though, the popcorn and pop is basically equivalent to several fast food sandwiches, so I guess sneak away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus, that is disgusting.

    If the $12 doesn't steer people away, hopefully news like this does.

    ReplyDelete