Monday, October 26, 2009

Fitness Gaming


I played videogames for hours yesterday. But don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds!

When I dropped my weight in high school, I attributed it to a few things. First was an elliptical trainer I got for my birthday and the Green Day CD American Idiot that I listened to in its entirety (around 50 minutes if I remember correctly) almost every time I went on it. Second was a belly dancing workout in Fitness magazine that I was convinced wasn't actually a work out. The actual workout can be found here. And the last thing was DDR, Dance Dance Revolution.

I will admit that you have to be good at DDR to get cardio benefits from it. So after a few months when I was finally able to progress from light to standard to heavy, I finally was racking up a large amount of calories burned on the workout mode that all of my DDR games feature. I usually burn about 20 calories for a minute and a half song, but for some of the harder songs I burn even more than 30 calories. So yesterday I played 3 out of my 4 DDR games on workout mode and totaled my calories burned to being around 1,300 calories. Not bad for a videogame, eh? I might eventually post a video of me playing, but until then, if you have never seen anyone play, youtube DDR (perhaps specifically the song Sakura) and you'll understand after you've watched it how it is such a great workout.

3 comments:

  1. Damn girl, 1300 calories? That's insane. I hope you consumed at least twice that much that day.

    I've never been able to get into working out, but that's mostly because it bores me and I hate trekking to the Pete and running in the street.
    I like being active, so all my exercise comes from riding my bike everywhere and playing frisbee in the park, which works out great when it's nice out but not so well in the winter.
    I always thought if I had DDR/Wii and/or an elliptical at home, I would exercise so much more. Of course, I don't have the money or space for those things, so come the cold months, my exercise will once again be limited to walking to and from campus. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Insane in the "wow, that's pretty impressive" sense.) How long did you work out for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked out for about 4 hours that day. A little intense perhaps, but I ate not so healthily that weekend. I kind of live by the motto, "You ate it, now negate it"

    And I have a very, very large secret for you that may inspire you to go to the gym. I too did not like going up to the Pete, which is silly, when you think about it, because you're going to workout anyway. But Bellfield Hall actually has a small gym on its second floor, and I find that I don't mind going there as much since it's not so out of the way. Nonetheless, your forms of staying active are just as good and way more fun.

    ReplyDelete